Tuesday, March 23, 2010

American Folk Art Museum (by Holly Hall)

(RT/Re-posted from TKC Student Blog)

Hey there!

My name is Holly, and I am a first semester Senior at The King's College. I'm originally from Nashville, Tennessee, and am studying Business Management. I'll be updating this blog every now and then to tell you about my experience at King's and fun adventures I'm having in the city.
There are so many great museums here in the city including the Met, MOMA, and American Museum of Natural History. However, those are just a few of the popular ones. I had a friend visiting me from Nashville this weekend before classes started back up, and she wanted to go to the American Folk Art Museum. I had never heard of it, but I told her we could look into it.
Turns out, the American Folk Art Museum is free on Friday nights from 5:30-7:30, and it's right next to the MOMA which is free on Fridays from 4:00-8:00. The MOMA is always super crowded, but the American Folk Art Museum isn't! We walked right up to the front desk and got a free ticket. There was a band playing folk music in the lobby where a crowd of people sat watching them. You can hear the music from anywhere in the museum which set a relaxing atmosphere for observing beautiful art.
My favorite part about the American Folk Art Museum is that it is art from every day life. There are watering cans and chairs from early America that are beautifully painted. There are gorgeous landscapes of upstate New York painted by Thomas Chambers, like this one of Niagara Falls (below). There is also abstract art that is always fun to dissect and figure out what the artist was thinking when he or she created it.



The American Folk Art Museum is the perfect place to listen to music on a Friday night, stand in awe of art from America's past, or spend time with friends in the cafe.
Thanks for reading, friends, and let me know if there are any specific topics about NYC, King's, or student life in general that you would like to read about on here!

No comments:

Post a Comment